These baking tips are sure to make you seem like the best pastry chef around.
1. Make your own buttermilk using regular milk and lemon juice.
Never buy buttermilk again with this trick! Using a 1-cup measuring cup, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. Fill the remainder of the cup with plain milk. Let it sit for five minutes and you have DIY buttermilk that will always get the job done!
2. Bring eggs to room temperature in five minutes with a bowl of warm water.
There is nothing more frustrating than getting halfway through a recipe only to discover your refrigerated eggs are supposed to be room temperature. If you forget to take the eggs out an hour before cooking (Really, does anyone remember?), just put the eggs in a bowl of hot water for 5 to 10 minutes and you’re good to go!
3. Make your own (gluten-free!) oat flour with oats and a blender.
If you’re looking for a great gluten-free flour option that you can make yourself (or just a totally amazing-tasting flour!), oat flour is for you. And the “recipe” is beyond simple — just blend up some gluten-free oats in your blender until they’re powdered!
4. Need a rolling pin? Grab a wine bottle!
If you use a rolling pin only once a year (if that!), save on cupboard space and just use a wine bottle as your rolling pin! Empty or full, remove the label and scrape off any residue, then wash the outside of the bottle. You can also simply place some wax paper or plastic wrap on top of your dough and roll right with the label on the bottle.
5. Make cake from a cake mix taste like a homemade treat.
6. “Ripen” bananas in the oven for baking.